Monday, February 11, 2008

Potomac Primary

I'm pretty sure I'm going to vote for Barack Obama instead of Bill Richardson for president. They're not too far off on the issues and Obama has the capacity to get things done because he is willing to reach out to people of different political backgrounds. I have no doubt that Obama would be a strong general election candidate. I still like Bill Richardson though. If you were going to vote for Bill Richardson, you still should.

I'm not sure how it's done elsewhere, but in Maryland we vote for the candidate and 4 female and 4 male delegates associated with a particular presidential candidate. I'm not really sure why it's divided by gender. Richardson only has one potential delegate tied to him, so I will vote for her and the other seven will be tied to Obama. That's how I rectify things in my own mind.

In Maryland's the 8th Congressional district, I always vote for Deborah Vollmer, because I agree with her stance on the war in Iraq. Chris Van Hollen has been someone who wants it both ways. He criticizes the war and yet, consistently votes for it. He's argued that troops should remain. He very much seems like the type of person who votes based on his own political future and not for his constituency. If you oppose the Iraq war, you simply should not vote for Van Hollen. Vote your conscious. Vote for Vollmer.

No comments: