Monday, August 07, 2006

On McDonald's and War

I was in a McDonald's in the middle of nowhere in upstate Maryland on my way to Asa's and Lynn's wedding. I went to the bathroom and then stood in line behind a middle aged white couple. The couple had been standing in line for about ten minutes. Then, they peeked at me, whispered something to each other, and walked out of the McDonald's without ordering. I thought, 'Damn, they smelled the Jew on me."

This is where the transition should be.

What is needed in the Israel-Lebanon war is not just a cease fire, but a peace treaty. Israel should give Lebanon the land that it wants, including the Golan Heights. These two steps will help to put the Lebanese government and the majority of its people and the Israeli government and most of its people on the same side against Hezbollah in the near future. Hezbollah would be exposed for the Syrian/Iranian-influenced organization that it is. The only way to truly eradicate Hezbollah is to force it to lose public support.

No comments: