Sunday, August 27, 2006

Irony

I must admit that a guilty pleasure of mine is watching bad things happen to bad people. I didn't always used to be like this, and I'm hoping it's just a phase, but for now...

So, I come back home to hear that Senator George Allen likes making fun of Indian-Americans by calling them monkeys and welcoming American citizens to America (and the real world of Virginia[?]).

There are many things to love about George Allen's little speech. The fact that he prefaces his racism with the claim that he advocates positive ideas and a positive campaign, unlike his opponent. Also, he thought he could get away with it by using a little-known slur. My favorite is the irony.

Future Virginia Senator Jim Webb sent an aid to video tape George Allen's speeches in case he made a gaff. George Allen in turn made a gaff directly because the aid was there video taping him in case he made a gaff! Mmmm, irony is delicious.

No comments: