Friday, August 25, 2006

Back Home

Perhaps one day I will look back and decide that this trip changed my life in a very profound way. Or it will be lost in the immense landfill that are my forgotten memories.

All summer long I've had a low opinion of myself. This trip helped to intensify that feeling and, hopefully, flush it out. Perhaps this was apparent between the lines of my posts, I'm not sure.

For someone who is quite self-conscious about how little he knows and struggles with the paradox that the more I know, the more I realize I don't know, this trip was devastating. I encountered languages that I will never learn and thus people I will never know. I went to different countries and my mere presence demanded that they know my language.

I realized that almost all of the people I came across were better people than I. I'm reminded of the Syrian Muslim in Sofia, the Moldovan woman on the train to Bucharest, Mike's family, and Patricia's family. These people have touched me in a profound way with their kindness, in a way that I can never repay. And how did I repay them? With arrogance and ignorance.

My 3 most rewarding experiences:
In chronological order: Visiting the beautiful synagogue in Sofia and praying in the mosque there across the street with Sherkhan. We also visited an Eastern Orthodox church. Especially the synagogue and the mosque (because I wasn't with a Christian) gave me a warm feeling. It showed me the good that can come from understanding and acceptance.

In Vienna, striking up a conversation with some guys from Africa. In a few short hours they allowed me into their world while exploring mine. It was a situation that many idealists dream of. People from different walks of life sitting around and learning from each other's experiences.

Patricia's country house is near Mlawa, Poland. Mlawa (pronounced Mwa-va) is her hometown. We walked through the forest together talking. It was a blessing to be able to connect with someone so special. Unfortunately we had many miscommunications, which I blame myself, but that day was something that I will cherish always.

It will be liberating now for me to go back to talking about things other than myself.

For Americans, some of Eastern Europe's culture can be offensive. We saw many teens stick their tongues down each other throats in public. I'm all for making out with someone you love, let's just keep that between you and your loved one. Also, men pop their collars way too much. Also, where were my free refills, ridiculously sized meal portions, and 3.5 gallon flush toilets?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH man, in spain, people were making out EVERYWHERE! Like, all the time, too!

AnonymousBlogger said...

No, you should have a high opinion of yourself. Most people would go throught that trip and look down upon the people they met and the things they saw. You realize it was something special, and learned from it. Isn't that all you could ask for?

I didn't get a sense of arrogance at all reading your posts. You had a trip of a lifetime. Savour it.