Saturday, June 24, 2006

GOOOOOAL For The Jews

The captain of Argentina's soccer team, which has reached the quarterfinals of the World Cup, is Juan Pablo Sorin (left). He is a Jew. His team's head coach, Jose Pekerman (right and below), is also Jewish. As a Jew, I take pride when my people are successful in an positive manner. I'm proud of others too, but it's always a little extra special when its one of your own. Mazel tov amigos.



Ghana's John Pantsil (left and below) pulled an Israeli flag out of his sock after his team's win over Czech Republic. Pantsil plays for an Israeli club team and waved the flag to say thank you to the Israeli fans that had traveled to Germany (of all places) to cheer for him and his country. The act was not political, but it was perceived to be. Pantsil's act was heart-warming and an act of mutual gratuity, nothing more, nothing less. But when blacks and Jews show warm feelings for one another, I should've expected there to be an uproar.


A very different story is the one of the Dutch club team Ajax. I'll mention it again. Their fans identify themselves as Jews, but in reality very few are. I find this disturbing. Some Jews believe that the fans' identification promotes Jewish culture, others say it promotes anti-Semitism from the fans of other teams. The fans simply wave Jewish symbols and revel in their status as 'others'. Regardless of what the fans are actually promoting, I don't want my identity used as some extended fad or mocked. If Jewish culture is respected, that's one thing: all are welcomed. But that's not what this is. Basically, leave us alone.

When I say "leave us alone," I don't mean to suggest that I don't want cultural exchange, intercultural interactions, and dialogue. I love those.

I don't want others to put Jews in the limelight. I don't want others to use us for their own gain. I don't want my culture or the culture of my ancestors exploited. Leave us alone.

2 comments:

Esther Croudo BitrĂ¡n said...

Good coments.

Mazal Tov

knibilnats said...

Toda raba, gracias, thanks.