Friday, February 02, 2018

Round and Round

Today was Candace's birthday. We took a walk along the sea wall in perfect weather with the babies. We later went to a park where Candace and the babies watched me play on a swingset. I got Candace a shaved ice. Candace's mom and nephew feigned like they were going back to the apartment so the boy could poop, but instead bought two cakes for her birthday.

We then walked to conveyor belt sushi which we luckily found. It was fun! Candace's mom tried natto, fermented beans. She guaranteed it wouldn't taste worse than the freshwater eel she tried. At first she gave a face that suggested, Hmm this is interesting, but things quickly turned south. Soon she was frantically searching for a napkin to spit it out. She sat there for the next five minutes disgusted and angry. The rest of us couldn't stop laughing. Tayvon saw what had happened and tried some himself to similar effect.

I liked the freshwater eel and fried sqid. The octopus was a thinly sliced part of a tentacle. I also tried fugu, the infamous poisonous pufferfish. My stomach started expanding painfully last night, ao I got scared it would kill me.

The babies spent a lot of time playing with older local kids from a neighboring table. The babies liked a beef bowl, sticky rice, and some fried corn. I couldn't take the salmon roe- the eggs were bigger than I like- so I gave one to Tali. She shuddered a bit, but swallowed it.

On the way back. Candace's scooter was rapidly losing charge so he  mom, Tayvon, and I took turns pushing the stroller and the scooter while it lightly rained. Candace's cakes were quite fancy and tasted good too.

No comments: