Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Ten Worst States

In 2006, in the hopes of helping our immigrant friends, I developed a list of the ten worst states in America that I've been to. Here is the post. That list included: Mississippi, Florida, Georgia, Texas, Arkansas, Kentucky, New Jersey, Ohio, West Virginia, and Louisiana.

Yahoo! just put out an article about a study by a scholar who determined the most racist states by examining racist Google searches about President Obama. Here's the article. The list includes: West Virginia, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, Mississippi, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, South Carolina, Alabama, and New Jersey.

Six are the same. I've never been to Michigan or South Carolina. I drove through Alabama and back once; it was terrible, but I didn't spend enough time to include the state on my list. Pennsylvania has its racist western portion and it also has South Philly. But I wouldn't have guessed it to make the top ten racist states.

At the end of the article, the scholar says, "Prejudice could cost Mr. Obama crucial states like Ohio, Florida and even Pennsylvania." So that includes Florida, which is on my list. I'm shocked Georgia and Arkansas didn't make the top ten racist states, especially in front of Pennsylvania and Michigan. I postulate that Ted Nugent is responsible for the majority of racist anti-Obama Google searches.

No comments: