Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Obama's First State of the Union Address

At various times, I was curious to see if the Democrats or Republicans were standing and clapping after a particular comment, but the camera had zoomed too far for me to recognize anyone in the audience. So I developed a way to distinguish between the two. If everyone on camera is white, then it's the Republicans. If almost everyone on camera is white, then it's the Democrats.

Barack Obama's speech was impressive. Honestly, I think he could sell gay to Pat Robertson. But, I'm afraid, compared to the last eight years, almost any speech would sound refreshingly grounded yet ambitiously hopeful. It's like the person who eats Banquet frozen dinners every night and then there's a sale on Stouffer's frozen dinners. That person wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the Stouffer's frozen steak tips and filet mignon. That's just a hypothetical; my life hasn't become that sad. Um, let's just move on.

It looked like Ruth Bader Ginsburg was asleep. I believe this is because she was very upset that she was missing her Murder She Wrote reruns, so she decided to fall asleep and pretend she was watching it in her dreams.

State of the Union addresses can create some weird reactions. The Democrats cheered the line, "We inherited a huge deficit." That is pretty great, isn't it? Everyone cheered the fact that America does not torture. Next time I see my mother, I'm going to give her hug for not beating me with a stick while I slept as a child.

Joe Biden wasn't exactly sure when to clap. Thank goodness for Nancy Pelosi.

Occasionally, the right person comes along at the right time. If Obama is that person, it is too early to tell. But he sure seems like it.

No comments: