Monday, November 17, 2008

Fast Food in Connecticut

On my way to the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Massachusetts, I dined in a Taco Bell restaurant in Bumblefuck, Connecticut. I'm sitting and eating my tacos when I look down across the table. There, scraped into the table, was a swastika.

Two thoughts entered my mind. Of all the places to eat and of all the tables to sit at, I found the one with the swastika. Or maybe Connecticut's fast food establishments are simply littered with swastikas. I'm not sure which is true; I don't know enough about Connecticut.

1 comment:

Stephen Orloske said...

Swastikas are often found in Connecticut. They are generally carved by affluent, suburban, liberal, anglo youth, especially in and around fast-food chains, departments stores and all night diners. You will unlikely find them around high-end retailers, country stores, organic food markets or anywhere else frequented by their parents. Done as an act of rebellion it is interesting that the swastikas and their placement actually maintains systemic racism and oppression.