Thursday, February 14, 2008

Bill Clinton and Randolph Childress

Bill Clinton strutted out in the main cafeteria on the campus of George Mason earlier in the week. His face was flushed, his voice hoarse. He walked back and forth on the portable stage offering his wife's resume and touting his legacy as president. He sprinkled in a few ideas for the future.

Standing about 25 feet from the former president, my feet fell asleep. I waited for Bill Clinton to establish a connection or present a few oral flourishes. I had heard that he was extremely charismatic and a great orator. But he was tired. And I was tired. In the end, I walked away thinking that he was a pretty good speaker and that was it. Nothing life-affirming or life-changing.

Earlier in the day, my brother saw Barack Obama speak on the campus of the University of Maryland. My brother described the electricity in the air and the candidate’s ability to make it feel like a private conversation with each of the thousands of people present.

The whole episode reminded me of a previous experience, years before, when Tim Duncan and Randolph Childress visited our basketball camp. After the two spoke, we were told that we had to choose which player's autograph we wanted. I chose Randolph Childress'. I always admired the way he played at Wake Forrest. He had the ability to take over a game in the most exciting fashion, chuck threes no matter where he was on the floor or how many defenders surrounded him. I knew Duncan would soon be drafted number 1 in the NBA draft, but I didn't care, I liked Childress.

The entire camp lined up across from Duncan. After awhile I got up and stood in front of a distracted Randolph Childress, who was turned away in his chair from the whole ordeal talking to someone else. Eventually the person he was talking to gestured to Childress about my presence. He signed my piece of paper and then turned back away. My brother got future Hall of Famer, 2-time NBA MVP and 4-time NBA Champion, Tim Duncan's autograph.

But I'm happy I was true to myself. During the day, Duncan looked at Childress with respect, like an older brother. Childress was a senior when Duncan was a freshman at Wake Forrest, if I remember correctly. Plus, it was really unfair of the camp to do that to Childress. It would've been very easy for both of them to sign for each camper, first Duncan and then sliding over to Childress. I'm also glad that I got to see the former president speak. It's something I can tell my grandchildren about. That conversation might go something like this:
"You know I saw president Bill Clinton speak. Then he stole my wallet."
"Alright grandpa, time to take you back to the home so you can take your medicine."

No comments: