Friday, October 05, 2007

In Quito

My journey to Quito began in the Dulles airport at 4:30am Wednesday. I was waiting in the security line when I was whisked away and roped off from everyone. After a few brown men lined up behind me I realized what was going on. Throw in a couple of token white women and we were off to the puffinator.

The flight to Panama was highlighted by the fact that I sat next to a baby and his mother. From Panama we ascented to 40,000 feet in order to be fly 30,000 feet about the Andes. When I arrived in Quito, I met my friend and we hung out for the rest of the day. I could hardly stay away as I didn't sleep at all the prior night.

My hostel room has straw where 2 walls and the ceiling should be. I could here the band playing next door. I could feel the 50 degree temperature. But I was too tired to care. They also played old (but good) rap songs from 10 years ago. I woke up and walked around the city during the morning. It was hard to catch my breath, even after walking a short distance. I felt like my grandmother.

I walked around the very touristy area, but it was cool. I expected something more like Mysore as opposed to Philadelphia. I don't really speak Spanish at all, but I tried to ask about recommendations for good restaurants, but instead I said, "Your mother's penis is short and stumpy."

Ok, that didn't happen.
I took a nap during the day and woke up to pouring rain. I really had to pee, but the shared bathroom was outside. But alas! There was a sink in my room. So I peed in the sink. That did happen.

No comments: