Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Diarrhea Cha Cha Cha

I had trouble sleeping last night because of some serious diarrhea. It wasn't nearly as bad as my first night in India, but it was very annoying. I was frustrated that I got it, because it wasn't fair. India didn't give me diarrhea, that cashew nut curry at the Welcome Restaurant in Hampi did. The real problem was that all of the wiping that I had to do made my tushy hole really raw. The pain was intense and I couldn't stop pooping, which forced me to wipe some more. It was really awful. The whole ordeal was very draining.

I moved away from the horrid Hotel Ajantha and into a nicer hotel. I took a shower and instantly felt better, another miracle. I ate at a fancy Uzbek-themed restaurant (for under $10). Whenever I go to a fancy restaurant in India, I always tell myself, 'I don't deserve this.' There are guys in suits doing everything little thing for me, while I'm in a t-shirt and jeans. I usually try to put on a nice t-shirt and spray my sneakers with anti-odor spray before I go to be a little classier.

Things have turned up, but I'm still not crazy about Bangalore. At least the MG Road portion feels like a mix between the glitz of Shanghai and the cruminess of Lianyungong (which is just to the north of Shanghai). In Bangalore, as in Lianyungong, the sidewalks are a mess. I'm constantly tripping. There are like 8 different kinds of sidewalk shottily thrown together in anyone block.

I've seen some political graffiti in the city, which in interesting. Usually, I have no idea what it's referring to, but it seems extreme in one way or another. There is always constant honking of car, motorcycle, and auto-rickshaw horns. It's that way everywhere in India, and I actually saw a sign in Bangalore asking people not to honk so much to reduce noise pollution. Good luck. The honking in India is not as bad as it is in China, but imagine a motorcycle speeding at you as you're minding your business on a sidewalk and then the guy hs the nerve to honk at you. But the honking is mostly to let others around you aware that you're there.

Hindi music videos fill the television stations in India. Usually the way it's done is they just take a clip from the Hindi movie itself and use that as the music video. The actors aren't the one's singing the songs in the movies or the music videos, instead they lipsync. Milli Vanilli should've tried to make their career over here; it would've worked out better for them.

No comments: