Thursday, April 12, 2007

Wednesday Theory Proved Wrong

My theory that the Nats will only win every Wednesday has been disproved with a 8-3 loss against the Braves last night. Jerome Williams pitched well, only giving up 2 runs.

The game started with the announcers trying to explain how bad this 5 game losing streak has been. The Nats have averaged 1.3 runs per game. They've batted around .200. Their average drops to .050 with runners in scoring position. But, the announcers went on, the numbers don't tell the whole story. Whenever the Nats make an error it always leads to three runs. When they get a man on base, the next guy grounds into a double play.

It's so bad that the Nats attempted their first stolen base just last game! Down 5-0 after 7 innings, not having scored since Sunday, I went to 7-11 to get something to drink. I missed the Nats scoring 3 runs, but I got back in time to watch the Braves tack on 3 more. The Nats are now 1-8 and have lost 6 straight.

Yes, the Nats play has been comically poor to this point and it is amusing to talk about the level of their ineptitude. But it's just a coping mechanism. Don't get me wrong, it's as if I'm on the Rutgers basketball team and I just got the news that Vivian Stringer has been fired and replaced by Don Imus. Things are bad and it feels awful. Having said that, I'm optimistic. The Nats have had injuries. We have young players who will develop throughout the year. We'll be considerably better by the end of the year and ready to win in the new stadium next season.

No comments: