Friday, April 13, 2007

Thank the Lord

I was driving yesterday when a minivan jutted out in front of me after making a right turn. I was going a little bit of the 40 mph speed limit. I didn't have enough time to stop, so I swerved into the left lane. I looked at the back of the minivan and saw a bumper sticker that said, "JESUS" which prompted me to scream, "Jesus didn't help you make that turn!"

The same can be said for the Washington Nats, who haven't had much help from Jesus (Colome), Christian (Guzman), or (Ryan) Church in winning ball games. Last night the Nats faced the mighty veteran John Smoltz. We had the lowly Jason Bergman facing the fierce Braves lineup.

Amazingly Jason Bergman held the Braves swingers to a mere 1 hit. It seems like Jim Bowden's animated conversation with the talented but unproven pitcher paid off. Unfortunately, the Nats couldn't score while Bergman was on the hill. In the 8th, the Nats finally took their first lead before the 9th inning OF THE SEASON (their only win happened in the last at bat of last Wednesday's game. That was their only lead of the season until Thursday). I don't even know what happened I was in such a state of euphoric delirium. I think Belliard might have snagged the RBI. He should remain the team's number 2 hitter. Rauch pitched the 8th. The Nats left the bases full in the 9th. Chad Cordero eventually closed the door stranding 3 Braves.

The Nats are now 2-8. But beating John Smoltz and the best team in baseball at their place 2-0 is huge. Since Jerome Williams induce a double play with the bases loaded and 0 out, early in Tuesday's game, the Nats starting pitchers have not given up a run. My younger brother is taller than me, better looking, smarter, and a Braves fan. I'm going to enjoy this win for a while.

2 comments:

AnonymousBlogger said...

Chad Cordero is one of the few bright spots in your lineup.

But I like Lopez, and I still think Kearns can become a big-time player too. He showed so much potential with the Reds.

John said...

Yes...my only near-misses on the road (that weren't my fault) were caused by Jesus Fish, oddly enough.

As for ball clubs...um...the Red Sox are holding nicely, and the Reds are even at the head of the division.

Keep the faith. Season's young.