Friday, September 08, 2006

Maryland Democratic Primaries

Primary: September 12, 2006

Attorney General-

I was planning on voting for Tom Perez, but he had to bow out because he hasn't served as a lawyer in Maryland for at least 10 years. So, I'm not sure if I'll vote for Stuart Simms or Doug Gansler yet.

Comptroller-

William Schaefer is 84 years old. He's held just about every political office that one person can in Maryland. Perhaps it's time for a fresh face. Plus he looks like the guy who killed Medgar Evers. Ok ok, that wasn't so cool, but c'mon. Plus, he seems to agree a lot with Robert Ehrlich. Janet Owens is for growth and funding large transportation projects. I believe education is more important than bringing even more people to the area and destroying the environment. So I'm voting for Peter Franchot in the primary. I agree with his priorities.

House of Representatives, District 8-

I believe that the war in Iraq is the most important issue right now. Until we can end this disaster, we won't be able to focus on domestic issues. Deborah Vollmer agrees with this assessment. Just as Kweisi Mfume, Vollmer is for an immediate troop withdrawal. I also like the idea of a candidate who is not in the pocket of a major political party and who has greater loyalty to conviction than to their political career advancement. Chris Van Hollen has been a good representative and I appreciate the fact that he always answers my email in a timely fashion. But I think it's important to send a message to the Democratic Party to be strong.

No comments: