Saturday, July 15, 2006

Tears Of A Clown

For the past couple of days, I've tried to come up with an idea to explain my feelings on the current Israeli situation in a funny or entertaining way. I can't. I'm left with two sentences.


I am against Israel's attacks against its Arab neighbors. I am a Jew.


Where do I go from there?

Do I then discuss my reservations about even saying that statement publicly because it might empower even one anti-Semite? Do I explain that I support Israel's right to exist? Do I also condemn the attacks perpetrated by Hezbollah and Hamas? Do I lecture on Jewish history to better allow people to understand the situation? No, I can't lecture on that, the only people who will listen need a different kind of lecture. Do I juxtapose my sincere devotion to Jewish people against the sickness I feel over Israel's actions? Do I explain how I believe these attacks will only hurt the futures of Jewish people? Do I express solidarity with Muslims? I don't know what to say.

Right now, I am only able to articulate the deep sadness that I feel over what is happening. I certainly don't have any proposed remedies, just despair, which is currently clouding my seemingly irrational eternal optimism.

1 comment:

John said...

Can I get an amen for this classic piece of human tragedy? Way to speak it out.