Friday, February 17, 2006

Even Hip Hop Is Divisive In The Middle East

I have given you political commentary and offensiveness for over a year, all without discussing the Israeli-Palestinian situation. 'But David, you have a big mouth, you rant on current events, you're Jewish, why not?' you might ask.

I have nothing to say. And I have everything to say.

As with everyone else I have my theories; I have my hopes; I have my suggestions. However, to be honest, I just don't know what to think or believe. This ignorance has resulted in despair.

Perhaps an example will help to clarify. I went on the internet (much as you are doing right now) searching for Israeli Hip Hop, Arab, Jew, whatever I could find.

What I found were articles with polar opposite descriptions of artists' motives and impact. American articles considered Israeli emcees to be changing the Star of David into a proud symbol representing Jews over the last 60 years. The star was used in Nazi Germany to denote one's Jewishness. It was a stain. Now, Israeli emcees are making it a symbol of pride again. However, a British article considered the same Israeli emcees the purveyors of colonialism, because of insensitive remarks and the unequal power situation. I find it quite ironic that the British are talking about another country being a colonial power. But that shouldn't take away from the claim that these Israeli emcees are right-wing nationalists.

Palestinian emcees are viewed as the voice for an otherwise voiceless people. They speak against injustices. But others consider them to be advocating terrorism.

These dual views are disheartening. Especially since these are American and British journalists writing about Hip Hop. If there is not even a chance in hell for agreement on Hip Hop emcees between two countries that are not even involved in the conflict, what hope is there?

Two last things that really piss me off about this:

Do not compare Israeli actions to the Nazis. The Nazis worked towards exterminating a group of people, the state of Israel, as wrong as many of its actions have been, is not attempting to exterminate anyone.

Do not compare the fear of suicide bombings to the predicament of the Palestinians. This is an issue of power, and for a change, Jews have the power in this instance. These are not equal injustices. In addition, comparing suicide bombings to the Holocaust is unbelievably offensive. No matter the sentiment, these suicide bombers cannot possibly exterminate Jews, because they do not have the resources or the power to do so.

1 comment:

knibilnats said...

This is another reason I don't like talking about this situation, no matter what someone says, I always argue the other side.

The separation of church and state is an American ideal. Having an official state religion and being a democracy are not mutually exclusive.