Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Miami to Curacao

Things have exactly broken our way thus far. Apparently American Airlines charges to check a travel crib. When you have twins, that’s double the fee. A TSA agent in Baltimore said, “One at a time,” when we tried to all go together. I tried to give him the passports and then take the babies back to the line. “One at a time,” he snapped sharply. So I tried to look for Candace’s passport. “Give me the passports!” He grunted. “You said, ‘One at a time,” I answered exasperated. Apparently, that made me the bad guy. He saw my name and kept trying to “eaze” the tension in a way that people do when they’ve been given the upper hand after being rude.

Abie sat on my lap on the plane. He watched Blippie several times and tried to kick the seat in front repeatedly, but the man next to me gave him a good review. With car seats and cribs, getting to the rental car center in Miami was difficult. It didn’t help that a sea of people were frustrated that the Miami Mover stopped moving for an hour. We couldn’t get on the train and when it finally came and we had our shot, everyone rushed past the stroller and the wheelchair onto the train. That tels you something about about those people. We somehow missed the next one and I gave the doir a swift pound in frustration. The maintenance man yelled at me not to hit the door. I explained my frustration and her answered in a way that explains why he works with his hands and not with people. Words to the effect of “I don’t care about your situation, don’t hit the door.” I glared at him until we left. Tali and I made the next train, but Candace, her sister, and Abie still missed the next train. Needless to say I was fairly close to saving “Climate Change” the trouble and wiping out all of Miami myself.

We visited my Grandma in Coconut Creek. It was great to see the babies interact with her. The both loved each other very much. Tali read with her and Abie played in her walked. Tali injected occasionally with “more food” elongating the f and then exploding into the oo because she’s just learning the f sound.

Grandma’s community is protected by a gate with security. The first day I gave them my driver’s license and ygey gave me a pass, bodda-bing bodda-boom. When Candace put the license down on the cupholder lid or door or whatever it’s called in the rental Dodge Grand Caravan. Then the license disappeared. Apparently it slid into the nether rehions if the cupholder console. When we back to Grandma’s the next day, the guard wouldn’t accept my passport as ID. She kept telling me to get the license. Candace and I tried to explain that we’d love to get it but it’s trapped. The guard asked if I had a copy of my license. My just fell a little. Finally Candace thought to show the guard yesterday’s pass. That was sufficient. The guard said, “Try to get your license,” to which I replied, “ Obviously!” Because I didn’t want to scream “No shit!” With the babies in the car. I left saying, “ID is ID.”

We went to the beach in Pompano and had a good time. I felt like we left for the airport today withe plenty of time. 3 hours and 40 minutes before our flight. It was supposed to be a 45 minute drive. It wasn’t. It took about 2 hours. The rental car people saw a dent in the back of the car. I have no idea how it got there but they’ll charge us.

We got to check in and the man said the flight’s baggage closes in 20 minutes. Then there was a problem with the infant tickets. We got to cut the long security line, but it took a long time for someone to check Candace and her chair. I ran ahead. Abie only wanted to be with me, so I carried him what seemed lie the breadth of Miami or at least tge airport. “Daddy hat,” he demanded as he wanted to be on my shoulders. I made it and the gate agent said, “The others have 15 minutes.” They made it and the plane ride was. Except Abie had his first day ever without a nap. Tali napped a bit on the plane.

We got  to cut the passport line, but waited forever to get a taxi. Other drivers shaed a driver into taking us in Papiamentu. Candace had booked a taxi, but they emailed us today that they couldn’t pick us up. The resort said we can only have four in our room, but I tried to plead that yhe babies shouldn’t count. They’ll make a decision tomorrow. We ate at the restaurant here and Abie and Tali were tired and not on their best behavior. The babies cuddled me in the room. We were supposed to have a partial sea view, but I maybe that means we can only view part if the sea because the view is pretty awesome.

No comments: