Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Update on Darius Washington

Darius Washington's two missed free throws have always left their mark with me. In the 2005 Conference USA championship game, Washington had a chance to put Memphis into the NCAA tournament. Instead, he missed two out of three attempts. I wrote about that moment and his subsequent redemption five years ago.

Washington then went pro and wasn't drafted. But he fulfilled his NBA dream the following year. The 2007-8 NBA season would be his first and only stint in the league.

Washington has been playing overseas since. It seems he's turned himself into a valuable player for Roma in the Italian league and now for Ankara in the Turkish league. His stats are here. I'm so happy for him. And I want him to know that the way he managed to pick himself up and dust himself off after missing those two free throws in 2005 has always been an inspiration for me. Sometimes, our greatest positive impact comes in our worst moment.

No comments: