Friday, June 03, 2011

Answering a Text

I received a text that read, "Hey Mary Kate this is Nicole one of Monica Lopez's friends, she got her feather extensions done by you and I was wondering if you have room for three people tomorrow? anytime before 1 please!? let me know thank you so much!"

I thought about writing back "Sure, come at noon," just to create a hilarious misunderstanding that would ruin those three people's day.

But in a flash of Gandhian inspiration, I asked myself, 'What would the Mahatma do?' I figured Gandhi would have texted back that she had the wrong number, so that Nicole would know she had to attempt her request again. And that's what I did.

After I sent the text, I was flooded with doubts. Did I do the right thing? Do Nicole and her friends need to waste money on feather extensions? Maybe it's just what they need, how do I know? Is it my place to decide that for them? Perhaps Monica Lopez could use the money. What if Monica Lopez has a sick relative? What if Nicole has a sick relative that she could spend the money on instead of on feather extensions? What if the sick relative was a little boy who will turn out to be another Hitler? Is it my place to intervene then, for the good of humanity? Is it ever right to aid in the killing of another human being against their will?

Sometimes I wish I was a psychopath, because then I wouldn't be consumed by things like this.

No comments: