Thursday, February 17, 2011

Single Mothers

I'm glad that Americans are coming to accept same sex parents, but what is this bullshit about single motherhood still being rejected by most Americans? America is filled with a bunch of sexist assholes.

It's true that single mothers tend to head lower income households. That might be because women are paid less than men for doing the same job. It doesn't help that women's ability to rise up the ranks is also often stunted by the ever-present glass ceiling.

There is nothing wrong with being raised by a single mother as my brother and I anecdotally show. The issue is class. my brother and I were raised in a middle class single mother household. We are both college educated and have never been in trouble. Our jobs involve helping people. Whether in a single mother household or one that has two parents, kids that grow up in lower income environments are more at risk to be in trouble and have less chance of graduating from college.

There is nothing fundamentally better about having a father than not having a father. What if the father is a bad guy? His presence will likely have a destructive effect on the children. In that case, a single mother is a better option than two parents. That wasn't the case for me, my dad was a good guy, but I'm still not convinced that being raised by two parents would have impacted my life in a more positive way than being raised by a single mother.

So America needs to shove their sexist preconceptions of single motherhood right up their assholes.

No comments: