Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Recap of the 2011 Dunk Contest

My rule for the dunk contest is that if I can do it on an 8-foot hoop, it's not that impressive. I can jump halfway over the hood of a car, grab an 8-foot tall rim and swing over the rest of the hood. Thus, Blake Griffin's car dunk wasn't that impressive. I can do JaVale McGee's pitty pat double dunk after 12 tries. That one wasn't so inpressive either. Neither was his triple dunk.

Both men did have very impressive dunks though. The best dunk of the night was McGee's reverse windmill. He had to duck his head so it wouldn't hit the backboard while performing the reverse windmill at the same time. Griffin's spin dunk was incredible. I stood up when he first missed. But the initial miss didn't damper the make as was the case with virtually every other missed dunk performed last Saturday night. Though his elbow dunk was a rip off of Vince Carter's, I couldn't do it on an 8 foot hoop.

Serge Ibaka's free throw dunk was also nice. He's much taller than MJ and Dr. J, so it's less impressive that their free throw line dunks, but still, I can't do that on any size rim. I thought his teddy bear dunk was great, but he needed to make it on the first try for the skit to work. DeMar DeRozan was also there.

There needs to be a rule that if you make a dunk, that's it. If you're going for three and one goes in, your turn is over.

No comments: