Monday, December 06, 2010

Sitting Down for the National Anthem

Operation Remain Seated During the National Anthem at the George Mason Game last Saturday was a resounding success. You, being the patriotic type who cannot even fathom why an individual would refuse to stand up for the national anthem, are wondering why.

Don't I support the troops? Don't I value our freedoms? Don't I appreciate living in the greatest country to ever exist?

Eh.

I could tell you that I am patriotic and part of expressing one's love of country is the ability to criticize. But I'm over that. Honestly, I'm not patriotic, except, perhaps, when it comes to sports. I love when Team USA dunks over some poor schlub from Angola. I could say that true love of country is not blind affection but living its values. For example, by asserting my freedom of expression. But who are we kidding.

I sat down during the national anthem because I realized that I didn't want to stand up for it. That they play the national anthem before sporting events is absurd to begin with. I realized that I only stood for the anthem because of societal expectations and pressures. I didn't want to cause a scene or be subjected to undue harassment.

But I do not support the U.S.'s use of military might in the world. Thousands of people in Iraq and Afghanistan, among other places, have been killed because of my nation-state. I do not support those killings. Often, it will be argued that those killings were in America's interest. That is patriotism justifying murder. I do not support it. Those killings were not in my best interest.

So, I will continue to stay seated during the national anthem, unless, of course, you know, I've snuck into a better seat than the one printed on my ticket.

No comments: