Sunday, November 21, 2010

Pacquiao, Martinez-Williams

After Pacquiao knocked out Ricky Hatton, I was impressed, but I doubted he'd be able to beat the bigger welterweights out there. He had proven he was the top junior welterweight, and I figured he'd do well against smaller welters, but not against Cotto, Clottey, and especially not Margarito. Those were the names I had in mind then. Pacquiao must've read my mind. For me, the win over the granite-chinned defensive wizard, Joshua Clottey, made me a believer. It's now assumed that Clottey didn't come to fight, but Pacquiao took the will from a determined fighter on that night.

I've switched back and forth between Pacquiao and Mayweather as my pound-for-pound number one after each of their fights for the past year. Pacquiao's destruction of the enormous and capable Antonio Margarito edges Mayweather for the top spot in my mind for now. But I'm a little tired of the Pacquiao-jocking. He is great, but some of the compliments are absurd. Pacquiao was actually complimented for laying off of Margarito in the 12th round. I don't mind him doing it, but the same folks complimenting Pacquiao for that crush Mayweather when he coasts to victory. It's hypocritical.

Sergio Martinez's 2nd round knockout win over Paul Williams thoroughly impressed (and surprised) me. He threw a left hand similar to the one that felt like a full on headbutt to Kermit Cintron. He's moved up to the number three pound-for-pound spot for me. The Ring still has Martinez ranked as the best junior middleweight, but his announcement that he wouldn't fight Pacquiao or Mayweather at anything less than 156, and the fact that he hasn't fought at junior middleweight for well over a year, should mean that he is removed from the rankings in that division.


The odd thing about boxing is that Paul Williams might be the one to get a shot at either Pacquiao or Mayweather after this loss. The 6'2" southpaw pressure-fighter was knocked out by a shorter guy with a ton of speed. He's still a credible opponent for either man and now he finally looks vulnerable. I'm still holding out hope that Pacquiao and Mayweather fight each other though. Call me naive.


In any event, what a great time for boxing.

No comments: