Sunday, March 21, 2010

Thoughts on the First 2 Rounds of the NCAA Tournament

Just as I predicted, a 14 seed beat a 3, a 13 beat a 4, and a mid-major power ousted a 1 seed in the second round. Unfortunately for me, I didn't predict any of the right teams.

But the tournament has been great for mid-majors. Despite being consistently underseeded, thus having to face tougher teams earlier, mid-majors make up 5 of the remaining 16 teams left. Their seeds are 5, 6, 9, 10, and 12. So, if everything had worked according to plan, none of these teams would have made the Sweet 16.

March Madness On Demand is great. In theory. I kept being told to select a new game with one minute to go in Villanova's first round game. Apparently, March Madness On Demand decided a tie game with a minute to go was "over." Anyway, we're two games away from a potential Cornell, St. Mary's, Northern Iowa, Butler Final Four.

Truth be told I'm rooting for Tennessee because the coach, Bruce Pearl, is a Jew. Yep, it's been a tough tournament for me.

Also, I noticed some tension between the broadcasting team of Kevin Harlan and Dan Bonner and also between Gus Johnson and Len Elmore. I like all four. Maybe they can just switch. Johnson and Bonner have worked together and they were a good team. Harlan and Elmore would compliment each other really well as long as they don't resent the other one talking too much.

No comments: