Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Mentor

What I've found is that many foreign travelers have had some difficulties adjusting to India, particularly the garbarge, the pollution, and being a target. It's funny because invariably, whenever I meet a foreign traveler, I end up listening to their troubles and empathizing. Because I've been here before, many ask me questions like how long will it take to adjust and what is going home like. Also, I'll be here longer than most travelers I've run into, which surprises me. Only the Swiss woman who volunteered will end up being here longer, but I'm still traveling around India for a longer period.

I also feel like I know more about Indian culture, history, and politics than most foreign travelers, which is a little embarrassing. It does help to relate to people here. I can talk a little about Bollywood movies, cricket, and I know enough Hindi words that Indian people tend to appreciate the effort, even if that amount is pitifully low. I've also gotten questions from foreign travelers about India's system of government and other questions like this. It's just funny because I feel so ignorant being here. I feel like an outsider. And yet I'm able to provide a little window for some.

Of course, this broad post means one thing, not much has happened since the last time I posted. I wish I could do a broad post all the time in addition to writing about the events that happen. I've been sick, though I am optimistic that I'll be better soon. Last night, I took part in my fantasy basketball draft, which I was nervous I'd miss. In a few hours, I take a train to Kolkata. I tried to book a hotel room there, but as of now, to no avail. I think I'm arriving in the middle of the night, to complicate things further. But I'm things will work out.

No comments: