Sunday, September 06, 2009

Ask Ted - Left at the Park

Dear Ted,

My boyfriend and I were having a picnic in the park when we started to argue. I said something mean and then he just left. There I was all alone in the park, left with the picnic basket. He never came back. When I try to tell him how angry that made me, he just walks out of the room. What can I do?

Sincerely,
Abandoned in Arlington


Dear Abandoned,

Being able to argue in a constructive and honest manner is one of the foundations of a healthy relationship. It is natural to fight with one another, but if you are not allowed to express your feelings with your boyfriend, then it might be time to leave. All that awaits your future if you stay are years of silence and frustration. He must allow you to not only say your piece, but engage in a constructive dialogue about your feelings AND share his own with you. It is never ok to leave a loved one alone in a park in the middle of fight unless he thought he may become violent, in which case, he needs to seek help.

One final thing: which park? Just curious.

Ted Bundy is not a licensed therapist. He is, however, a convicted serial rapist and murderer.

No comments: