Thursday, August 13, 2009

Ask Ted - Clash of Cultures

Dear Ted,

My girlfriend and I are of a different culture and religion. She can only marry someone of her own culture or she will be disowned by her family. My family and I are more open in our views. I'm not even sure how far our relationship could go if it were allowed to, but should we call it off now because it might hurt more later? Can I ask her to sacrifice that much?

Yours truly,
Frustrated in Frederick



Dear Frustrated,

Messing with tradition is always difficult. Ending it now might be the best way to go because, as you suggested, the longer you are together, the more pain could come from having to split. Remember, this isn't a romantic movie, it's real life, so if you ask her to make this gigantic sacrifice and she does, both of you will have to live with that decision for the rest of your lives. She might feel like she gave up so much for you that you'll never be able to make up for it. And that’s the best case scenario. Whatever you choose to do, let me make one suggestion- don't rape and murder her. Believe me, that never goes well; I know, I'm Ted Bundy.

Ted Bundy is not a licensed therapist. He is, however, a convicted serial rapist and murderer.

No comments: