Saturday, August 22, 2009

Afghan Psychosis

I've been thinking about Afghanistan too much. Afghanistan has consumed my life. Last night, I dreamed that Hamid Karzai and I were surrounded by Karzai's cabinet in Ramazan Bashardost's tent. Foreign minister Rangin Dadfar Spanta was there. So was justice minister Sarwar Danish and agricultural minister Asif Rahimi. They all huddled around Hamid and I. Hamid had given me a top secret mission and a tootsie pop. The mission was to see how many licks it took to get to the center. It took 438 1/2. I counted each one.

For the next 34 minutes, everyone gave their own interpretation of what constitutes a lick. Then the Americans weighed in and told us to quit bickering and just bite it. Then I woke up.

I would like to take this time to join the crowd and declare myself the winner of Thursday's presidential election in Afghanistan. If I didn't win, it was only because of massive fraud.

I'd also like to wish everyone a dignified and enlightening Ramadan.

No comments: