Wednesday, June 17, 2009

So Much Hate

There are a few things that I really hate. I really hate when people put their own interests in front of those of the wider world. I really hate when someone I love dies. I really hate arrogance. I really hate bigots and bigotry. And I really Dan Marino and Alonzo Mourning.

But I would never devote so much hate to any single thing. None of those hatreds are all-consuming. They tend not to affect my relationships to any great degree. I haven't spent the last sixty or seventy years of my life mumbling about these hatreds. That separates me from the Holocaust museum shooter, James von Brunn.

But there is so much to hate. How can anyone just focus all of their attention on only one hatred? That's a little obsessive.

I hate making small talk. I hate tomatoes. I hate when bank tellers and waiters try to pronounce my last name. I hate how everyone says that their dog is the sweetest in the world. There can only be one sweetest dog in the world! I hate how cars try to cut the line onto 270 on exit 6. You know the lane disappears onto the highway, what makes your time more valuable than mine? Wait in the line like the rest of us. I hate men who put that dab of gel in the front on their hair. My brother did that once and I made damn sure that'd never happen again. I hate neo-conservatism. I hate news-related talk shows where guests only spew their own talking points instead of engaging in a true dialogue. I hate commercials. I hate American imperialism and Americans' apathy towards it. I hate the bailout of the banks. I hate the dentist. I hate making phone calls to people I don't know. I hate the isolation that we are all forced to live with because we will never truly know anyone else. And I hate Jeff Goldblum.

That's what makes this world so great. There's so much to hate. That's the real tragedy of James von Brunn. Well, that, and the whole murdering someone in the Holocaust museum thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's one way of thinking about it