Sunday, April 19, 2009

Double Cheeseburger

"Can I have 2 plain double cheeseburgers please?" I asked, my usual order at McDonald's restaurant.
"Do you want the McDouble or the double cheeseburger?" was the reply.
I stood there flustered. My eyes searched the menu, but I couldn't find the answer. Finally, I relented. I was defeated. "What's the difference?" After a short, unclear explanation, I asked for the cheaper burger.

The second person after me was a tall black man. "Can I have 2 double cheeseburgers please?" I smiled. I knew what was coming.
"Do you want the McDouble or the double cheeseburger?" was the predictable reply.
The man stood their flustered. His eyes searched the menu, but it was clear he couldn't find the answer. Finally, he relented. His face was filled with defeat. "What's the difference?" After a short, unclear explanation, he asked for the cheaper burger.

It was a life-affirming experience for me. No matter one's race, religion, creed, or height, you would have the same response to that question: "Do you want the McDouble or the double cheeseburger?"

1 comment:

Steph said...

the difference is in the cheese... yes the cheese
the Mcdouble has one piece of cheese while the almight DOUBLE cheeseburger has in fact two.