Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Screw

I was staring at a screw on the metro north in New York a few weeks ago and I had a revelation. Someone screwed in every screw of this train. Someone put together every part of it (lets just assume it wasn't a machine).

The safety of countless people depended on this person doing their job well. And they had because we made it safely, just as so many others had before. That is a noble job. Then I started thinking, someone is responsible for all of the little things that we overlook, but allow our lives to continue seamlessly. There are numerous unacknowledged people who devote their lives to playing some small part in making this world a better place to live. It began to restore my faith in humanity.

I wish I had a punchline to go with this. Is that it? Am I suddenly someone who is too busy appreciating the little things to comment on the problems with our world?

No comments: