Thursday, August 07, 2008

Going to China for the Olympics?

If you are on your way to China for the Olympics, you might be wondering what to expect. Maybe you heard a lot of scary things. Well, here are a few helpful hints from someone who has been there.

The Stereotypes

  • China is a repressive place with a strong military presence and no freedom of speech.
  • There is a one child per family policy in place.
  • The air pollution is unbearable.
  • Chinese food is the same as it is in America.
  • You will be fined for spitting.

The Reality

  • There is no visible military presence outside of the Tiananmen Square area in Beijing. I don't remember seeing so much as a police officer anywhere else in the country. In fact, I have pictures of me and my friends mockingly marching behind soldiers and making fun of Mao in Tiananmen Square. I advocated freeing Tibet and Taiwan in classes that I taught and getting around the internet controls was very easy.
  • There might still be a one child policy in place but everyone I met had a brother or sister.
  • If you stay in China for a few years, the pollution will probably have an effect on you. If you are just going for the Olympics, it really shouldn't bother you and if it does, it might be an indication that you should be in a hospital hooked up to a respirator. Beijing was less polluted than some other Chinese cities in my estimation. I ran and played basketball the entire time I was in China. There was one day in a city far away from Beijing when the pollution was unimaginable. My friend and I could hardly open our eyes. We were told that the farmers were burning their crops just outside the city, but I'm not so sure. Regardless, that one day was an aberration.
  • If you find a chicken breast, wing, or thigh in China you are a very lucky person (unless they kept them for all the foreigners during the Olympics). You get what's left, including the feet, knees, and face.
  • If you think the government can control spitting, you are in for a phlegm-filled surprise! Do your best to avoid the little old ladies hocking loogies your way and don't say I didn't warn you.

Hopefully, you have as great an experience as I had and will gain a better understanding of Beijing. Keep in mind, every Chinese city is different, even ones in the same province!

No comments: