Sunday, August 10, 2008

Olympic Excitement

While watching women's beach volleyball, it occurred to me that the sport probably shouldn't be part of the Olympics. But it sure gave me a gold medal boner.

I watched a bit of boxing as well. The way boxing is judged in the Olympics is interesting. Often you get a point for receiving a punch in the face. The key is to avoid your opponent's facial attack against your fists.

The U.S. men's basketball team beat China 101-70. Depth of talent was the reason for the lopsided victory. Most teams will be able to hang with the U.S. through the first quarter, but no other country has the option of continuously inserting a fresh All Star into the lineup. China had open three point opportunities the entire game. They cooled in the second half from behind the arc because of fatigue and the fact that they're not generally a proficient shooting team in the first place. The lack of three-point defense is cause for concern, but the U.S. made up for that deficiency with tremendous ball pressure.

On a side note, I became so excited after one LeBron James dunk that I felt a squirt in my pants that sent me scurrying to the bathroom.

No comments: