Thursday, July 03, 2008

Me and the Nats

I haven't followed the Nats and baseball in general as closely as I had the past few years. I'm sure the Mitchell Report and the whole steroid scandal has had something to do with it. After the 1994 strike, I was determined to make sure it wouldn't affect my love of baseball. It took a few years to realize that it had. I didn't want the Mitchell Report to have the same affect, but I figured it would and it has.

The Nats new stadium hasn't helped. My first three attempts to go to a game were disastrous. I went to the 4th or 5th game even played (this was before the Pope's visit). I wore short sleeves and just didn't realize that it was going to be so cold and so windy. Of course I didn't leave early, but I was shivering the whole game. The next time I went, all of the cheap tickets were sold out. The least expensive tickets available for two people sitting together were $29 each! Of course I didn't buy them. The third time it started pouring on my way to the metro and I figured I'd cut my losses and go home.

Last week I tried again and saw the Nats beat the Angels in the bottom of the 9th, which was great. I no longer have any friends, so I went alone, but better that than have missed out. It's nice to see Dukes turning it around and Guzman continuing to play well. Flores has been quite good and quicker than expected. The starting pitching is always going to out-perform their talent because Randy St. Claire is such an effective pitching coach. Manny Acta has done a great job in the face of so many injuries.

Am I the only person who liked RFK better than the new stadium? There were many more cheap tickets at the old park. Hey, poor people like baseball too!

No comments: