Thursday, September 13, 2007

L'shana Tova

Today is Rosh Hashanah, l'shana tova!
I would also like to wish Muslims a dignified holy month of Ramadan.
May your fast be easy and spiritually fruitful.
I want to wish Christians a Happy Columbus Day.
I'm sorry, I don't know much about Christianity, is that the one with the tree and the presents or the rabbit and the eggs?

Rosh Hashanah started last night. Yesterday, I tutored my student, who came to America about a year and a half ago. He came from Korea and I've helped him learn English and with his homework. This time, he had to study a chart on world religions.
He asked me, "What does 'prophet' mean?"
"A prophet is someone who talks to G-d and spreads the message of G-d."
He responded, "Oh, a liar."

My aunt called to wish us a Happy New Year.
As we were hanging up she said, "When you're enjoying your home-cooked Rosh Hashanah meal, just think of your aunt eating frozen food."
"Thanks for ruining my dinner!"
"Hey, I'm allowed to, I'm a Jewish mother."
"Yeah, but you're not MY Jewish mother!"
"I'm your aunt; that's the next best thing."

No comments: