Saturday, June 09, 2007

Joe Biden, Moth Attacks, and More

I was taking a dump. There are two small hooks attached to each other placed up on the door six feet from the toilet. I took my shorts off and threw them trying to get them on one of the hooks. A perfect shot! I meant to take a picture of the feat from the toilet, but after I wiped I absent-mindedly took the shorts off the hook and put them on. But I felt it necessary to share my amazing accomplishment.

Afterward I went back to the first hotel to ask the woman out and she... wasn't there. Then it rained. I took it as a sign.

I had crab tandoori for dinner. It sounds better than it was, but it was still good. Hard to eat though. Pretty cheap. The vegetables were shaped like hearts. I took it as a sign. Soon I will have my true love: basketball and slurpees. I expected to come here and find the 7-11s stacked with American employees. In fact it's so bad, when you go into 7-11 you have to talk in an American accent, I'm not kidding. Why is Joe Biden still in the race? Advocate for Darfur from the senate buddy. Oh, I haven't seen any 7-11s.

Last night the largest moth I've ever seen flew into my room through the window. It was like a small bird. After some tense moments, I managed to usher it out the front door. Whew.

I take back what I said about Mangalore; it's not like Mysore. It has it's own weird character. I can't put my finger on it. The vendors and rickshaw drivers are real laidback here. They hardly ever bother me, especially compared to everywhere else I've been in India. Sometimes, sometimes I get a good feeling, like when I walk around the curvy Manglorean streets and find my way back to my hotel. There are a few fancy buildings here, but many burned out and abandoned buildings as well. The stories from the newspaper are a trip. In the last 2 years, the glasses have been stolen from the statue of Gandhi 3 times! There are reports of pretty girls telling sob stories and coming away with lots of money on the very street that I'm on now!

Something's going on in Hampi since I left. I didn't really understand the article, but there's some protests going on which have driven away thousands of potential tourists. There was also a terror suspect, Imran Bilal, arrested in Hampi. Looks like I went just in time. Tomorrow it's off to (sigh) Goa for a day and a half. Then on Tuesday night, I'll be in Mumbai for a few hours until my flight leaves Wednesday morning. So the trip is winding down. Looks there'll be 2 or 3 more posts from India and so much more to say.

No comments: