Friday, June 08, 2007

In Mangalore

I'm starting to think that Mangolean seafood is like french fries, polish sausage, or french toast. It's just an adjective devoid of any connection to the actual place. I tried to find a restaurant with seafood to no avail. I think the woman I talked to at my hotel was the manager. She convinced me to eat there.

Sometimes the perception of the stupid foreigner works to my advantage; I can get away with things because of it. Sometimes it doesn't, like when I have a specific question. "Where is a Mangolorean seafood restaurant?" turned into an explanation of what fish curry is. I know what fish is. I know what curry is. I've lived off of fish curry for the past week. I had it for lunch. I think I have an idea of what fish curry is.

The woman was very nice to me, even coming up to check on my meal. When she came up she thought I'd finished eating, but I hadn't even been served. She berated the waiters over it, very sweet. The meal was far too expensive though. And the fish was too anatomically intact. Have you even eated fish face? Until yesterday, neither had I. I'm not sure where the body ends and the face begins, but I'm pretty sure I crossed that threshold.

I caught Game 1 of the NBA Finals. Cleveland's defense was impressive, particularly in the first half. But they couldn't stop Tony Parker's penetration into the paint. Between him, Duncan, and Ginobili, The Spurs just have too much fire power. In truth, it was the Spurs superior defense that won the game. We know that the Cavs can't win if LeBron continues to shoot 4-16 from the field (which includes a decent shooting 4th quater). We also know that he won't contnue to shoot that poorly. The Spurs have had a smooth road in the playoffs. The Jazz and Cavs are good (some may say the Nuggets too, not me), but the Suns have been the only Spurs' opponent that can be considered great.

After the game I checked out of the hotel. I noticed that the receptionist had been giving me the eye every time I asked her a question since I arrived. She was very attractive and didn't appear to be with someone. Sometimes while playing basketball I'm in such a zone that I play outside of myself, meaning that I play better than I'm usually capable. This was a little different. I thought about asking this woman out, but seemed to leave my body and watch this tremendous failure as it was happening. She made conversation and I tried to engage, but the debacle was on. I thought to myself, 'I'm only going to be here for two more days, what's the point. You'll have someone to hang out with for 2 days you idiot, that's the point. But what about this, but wait that, and this, no that.' I left and felt like such a schmuck.

It was a horrible display. I read all the signs, but still failed miserably. I felt pretty bad about it. But I know the sight of an Indian (especially woman) with a white (especially male) foreigner of the opposite sex is just not done here. I've only seen one Indian-white couple here and the man was Indian and clearly an American. So perhaps I dodged a potentially scarring moment. Doesn't make me feel like less of a schmuck though.


A few more quick thoughts... Finished Musharraf's autobiography- he won't be in the Evil Leaders League (at least next season). Went into a book store and saw a book about Anne Frank, tried to buy a couple of used books but the guy would only sell them to me at full price which was actually insulting, I knew they weren't new. Do venders really think yelling "HELLO!" after I just looked at their merchandise is going to make me want to buy anything from them? And breathe, I'm done.

No comments: