Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The (white) Rapper Show

I liked the show. I thought ego trip did a good job. MC Serch was a good host and Prince Paul's appearances were excellent. The best part of the show (combined with ego trip's extra commentary) was that it conveyed what Hip Hop is all about. I'm a big fan of Hip Hop and its history and I learned a lot. The weakest part of the show was all the reality show drama, but I guess you need that shit to get it on tv.

A couple of quotes about the concept of the show I really like. Sacha Jenkins said, "Ultimately, it's a conversation about race in the hands of white people." I believe it was Gabriel Alvarez who said essentially that the rappers were so concerned about the image they were transmitting through the screen that they failed to take another step back and realize that it was just a game.

Characters:
Dasit - He quit. In the words of Sacha Jenkins, "People eat tarantula balls on reality shows, you can't rap? You're a rapper!"
Misfit - Her gimmick is her looks and well, I didn't find her very attractive.
G-Child - She was likeable, but not a good emcee.
100 Proof - I liked his respect for Hip Hop, but beyond a dude with a mohawk who can rap, there's not much there.
Sullee - I identified with him at certain times during the show. Once he realizes that he's not that good, he'll be much better. He's witty and has a lot of heart, but he needs to ignore all the bullshit and focus on the story he wants to tell.
JonBoy - I liked him for a bit, but the hypocrisy of his Christianity vs his sinner side was too much for me. His last episode, he represented everything wrong with society. Hypocrites are worse than fundamentalists; I can appreciate when people do what they say, even if it's fucking crazy.
Persia - She was likeable, but something was missing. Her swagger reminded me of my aunt, which is a good thing.
Jus Rhyme - Damn. I wanted to root for this political rapper. He was just so corny. His scholarly ideology had nothing to do with reality. The reason one goes to school is to put reality into context, not to detach from it.

The Finals: Jon Brown surprised me with his lyrical ability and flow. His 16 bars and his song were cool, but his show sucked. I've never seen someone on stage just stand there like he had a stick up his ass. I'm surprised he wasn't booed off for that. Obviously, he was smarter than he portrayed, but he wasn't as smart as he thought he was. Ultimately, he was just an image, a fraud who dissed his friend on national tv. On the other hand, Shamrock's performance was much better. I love thoughtful songs; that's what I listen to all the time, but that doesn't work on stage. Shamrock's song was good enough. I liked him and I'm glad he won. And he didn't rhyme slow as molasses like some other southern rappers.

No comments: