Thursday, January 18, 2007

Knicks vs Wizards

I went to the Knicks game tonight against the Wiz'tards in DC. The Wiz won by one on a Caron Butler dunk with 2.2 seconds to go. First I'll break down the Wizards, then my beloved Knicks. The latter won't be pretty. But doable, like Christina Ricci (sorry an uncharacteristic lapse with that comment).

Wizards
Gilbert Arenas aka Agent 0 is really an awesome offensive player. He struggled tonight, but what impressed me was his defense against Marbury. Butler is a really good complimentary player. They have so many offensive options, but I still question their defensive toughness when it comes playoff time.

In other Wizards news, I sat next to a fat guy. He was so fat, his flab knocked over the cup out of the holder and he didn't even notice. I involuntarily donated half of my area to him. He called Brendan Haywood "Driftwood," which is kind of clever the first time, but not every time he does anything on the court. That whole experience was just unpleasant. But there is hope for Wizards fans. I was slightly heckled on my way home (dressed in full Knicks garb). Respectable. In the old days, the arena used to be split in half between the two teams' backers, but tonight there were mostly Wizards fans.

Knicks
Two things struck me tonight. The Knicks' players are so inconsistent. Eddy "Goat" Curry (a triple entendre: goat curry the food, goat meaning choker, g.o.a.t. meaning greatest of all time sarcastically of course), Jamal Crawford, Quentin Richardson, Nate Robinson, and Channing Frye are all extremely inconsistent. Second, I like the Knicks trapping defense, but they don't have the players to execute it. There's no shot-blocker coming from the weakside to erase any of the many defensive mistakes the Knicks make. They do a terrible job of rotating on defense, as the final play showed tonight. The Knicks left Caron Butler open all night. It was sad. I am sad. Good night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, at least your Knicks still have a record over .500 since that brawl!