Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Nazi Zionist Pigs?

I'm in favor of a Palestinian state and I want to see the lives of the Palestinians improve dramatically. But let me drop a little Jewish paternalism on you.

The Palestinians (this is probably just a loud minority) need to make up their minds if they want to give their struggle any credibility: Either the Holocaust never happened or the Israelis are like Nazis; it can't be both, you gotta pick one fellas.

Given those two choices, I'd pick the Nazi-Israeli comparison. The problem with the comparison is that it's meant to speak to sympathetic Jews, but is really just offensive. I have a friend who claimed during last year's NBA playoffs that Dirk Nowitzki was the best basketball player of all time. Now don't get me wrong, he's a great player, but with a statement like that, I'm put in the position of having to explain why he's not the best player of all time, instead of explaining his great attributes.

As bad as the situation is for the Palestinians, there has not been anything close to an attempt at extinction, so the Israeli-Nazi comparison is a bit of hyperbole and distracts us from real-life concerns.

Moving on, I agree that Jews and Israel are two separate entities. You can be anti-Israel[i policy] and not anti-Jewish at the same time.

However, I've heard many Muslims define the problem as Zionism (and not Jews). Their definition of Zionism is a violent imperial force, not associated with any religion. I understand what they're talking about, but you need to find another word.

Zionism already has a very distinct definition: It stems from 19th century European anti-Semitism and is the belief that Jews need a nation-state of their own to avoid discrimination, preferably but not necessarily in Israel. With that definition, I am a Zionist. So when you rant against the Zionist pigs, you are talking about me and then I don't feel like hearing you. Something like apartheid is a better word. Many Jews fought the South African government to eradicate that oppressive system of government.

No comments: