Saturday, August 12, 2006

In Bucarest, Romania

We hopped on a bus after getting of the train. We didn't buy a ticket (that would've costed 33 cents). Instead we had to pay 15 American dollars!!!! It was all Sherkhan's fault, son't listen to him if he tries to blame the bus fiasco on me!

Then we walked around what Skerkhan thought was the downtown area of Bucarest. I kept telling him that the woman who ran the hostel was telling us to make a left, but he insisted we go right on the main road every time. We just found downtown today, when we went left after a Norweigan girl told us to do so.

Many places that Sherkhan goes, they don't believe that he's American, which bothers him greatly. Here, the woman who took our bus money did the same thing. Sherkhan said that his parents are from Pakistan, and she said, "Yes, see India, I was right. I'm not a stupid girl." Then she asked me where I was from and I hesistantly said, "America." She said my last name in an accent (Ha-raz, doouke) and continued, "You are from Ukraina?" "Yeah, yeah, I'm from Ukraine." I'm more Polish, but whatever. The people here love saying my last name with that accent. They say it again and again.

Unfortunately, we won't get to go to Ukraine. It costs to much and we can only get a day train. So, we're going to Budapest straight from here most likely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

If you or someone you know is interested in Budapest, you might enjoy Hungary's first English language podcast:

www.budacast.hu

Have a good trip and stay tuned!

Drew