Sunday, April 30, 2006

Save Darfur Rally

It's official, the Washington DC metro rail and Sudanese dictator Omar al-Bashir are in cahoots, as it took us five more minutes than it usually would to get to the rally on the National Mall. Of course, I was only there to "pick up chicks" as the kids say. And I was quite successful. One young woman looked at my shirt, and asked "Do you go to George Mason?" I replied, "Yes." She then asked, "What year are you?" I answered, "I'm a grad student." Then she continued her flirt parade by saying, "Oh, never mind," and walked away.

Once I got there, there were so many Jews, it felt like we were at temple. I ran into a friend of mine from college, who is Jewish. He mentioned that despite the enormous differences within the Jewish community this is the one cause that all of us can get behind. I'm sure there's one Jew that supports the genocide (there's always one) but otherwise I agree. Being there made me proud to be Jewish.

When Al Sharpton was introduced, a great moan of anticipation rolled through the crowd. Then Shapton gave a moving oration as expected.

James Zogby, the head of the Arab American Institute, spoke as well. A couple of teenage Jewish guys began heckling him in the only way Jews know how, making sarcastic comments. Unfortunately, they didn't appear to know what the hell they were talking about.

I emailed Mr. Zogby three years ago and his response was (if he doesn't mind):

"Thank you for your very kind note. I appreciate your concern and empathy. I too look forward to the day when we can all live together peacefully. I continue to hope."

Obviously, he's a terrorist.

No comments: