Thursday, April 20, 2006

Dick Corps

I was driving down Route 123 to George Mason yesterday when I saw a giant sign: "Dick Corps" by a construction site. It made me think about the origin of the company's name. Maybe it went something like this:

"So Dick, what’s the name of your new construction company gonna be?" wondered his friend Charlie.
"Dick Smith's," answered Dick Smith.
Charlie looked knowingly, "Yeah, I get it, your name is Dick Smith. But here's the thing, Dick Smith's..."
"What?" Dick interrupted defensively.
"Dick Smith's sounds like you weld dicks. You know like a blacksmith or a goldsmith."
"Wow, I never thought-a that," explained Dick. Dick had grew up in a fairly- how should I put it- backwoods area of Virginia, so his classmates- well- didn’t have the mental capacity to insult Dick Smith in that manner. “Should I choose another name?”
Charlie jumped into action. “Yeah. I think that would be wise. Got one in mind?”
"Yeah, how ‘bout Dick Corps?" replied Dick.
Charlie chuckled for a second until he realized that his friend wasn't kidding. "Dick Corps?"
"Yeah, Dick Corps."
"Hmmm. Um, Dick?"
"Yeah?"
"Dick Corps also means something else," Charlie tried to put it as delicately as possible for a 40-year old male hick.
"What do you mean Charlie?"
"Uh, Dick Corps also means, like, an army of penises."
"Yeah, I know," Dick explained, "I wanted something that would stand out. You know something that some idiot punk would write a story about on his blog."
"That’s pretty stupid," Charlie said bluntly, and then scratched his crotch non-discreetly.
“You’ll see,” Dick Smith said prophetically, "You'll see."

No comments: