Thursday, March 09, 2006

I Like Bruce Pearl


Bruce Pearl is the head coach of the University of Tennessee's men's basketball program. I like him, so what?

Last year Bruce Pearl guided the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee to a deep run in the NCAA Tournament. I hated him.

How did my opinion change so drastically, so quickly?

Last year, Bruce Pearl was "the coach that looked like that tv preacher who hates gay people and liberals." Rod Parsley or something, I believe is the man's name. I enjoy watching Mr. Parsley (if that is his real name), because he is backshit crazy. But I dislike him. So, naturally, I disliked Mr. Pearl.

Because Bruce Pearl was successful at UWM, he was promoted to his current position at Tennessee. There I discovered that Bruce Pearl is a Jew from New York. I'm not exactly sure how I missed that the first time around. I guess it comes out when a Jew starts coaching in Tennessee. Not many Jews over there. But that made me think, 'could my opinion of Bruce Pearl have changed that greatly just because he is Jewish and now looks less like that bigoted preacher?' I don't want to be like that.

I heard Bruce Pearl on Pardon The Interruption and he was funny, pleasant, knowledgeable, and not a bigoted preacher. I think that played an important part. Plus, he sweated through his suit (not a shirt, the entire suit!) during one game. My brother is quite the shvitzer and so is my good friend Asa. Both are Jewish. Hmmm, I just created a new stereotype for Jews, we sweat a lot. I suppose we need heroes that share our same sarcastic wit or whatever the fuck unifies us. Oh, I know! It's our total lack of humanity, sorry I forgot.

1 comment:

Joel said...

my GOD I saw the video clip of him schvizting?!?!? wow, that all I can say... also, I've known several Pearl's in my lifetime- they're all jewish... I don't know how you missed that one.