Sunday, June 12, 2005

Friday's Happenings

First, please let me apologize for my last post. I was in the internet cafe, saving the post along the way when my time ran out. So I've finished the post today. Please feel free to read the finished version of "Roller Coaster."

We woke up on Friday not sure what the day would bring. Sherkhan took his bags off to class with Laverne, who had come to pick him up. I went out to get money from the Bank of China. It felt like a movie as I was very paranoid that one of the General's henchmen may be following me.

I watched two minutes of the NBA Finals before I had to leave to teach the class. I took my luggage. Because Laverne came and got me, I figured that I didn't need to bring the General back to give him the key. I'd just give it to Laverne.

When I got to the school, Laverne's sister, an English teacher at the school, told me that Sherkhan and Laverne had struck a deal. We'd stay in her apartment, with our own rooms, until she could find an apartment for Sherkhan. as I'm leaving in a week. We wouldn't have to deal with those two idiots and we'd be paid for our services. It seemed like a good deal. Another English teacher also assured me that Chinese people are generally nice and to not get the wrong impression from these two fools.

We didn't have to worry about all the James Bond stuff and just took our big bags to Jane's apartment. Then we took a bus to the big bus that would take us to Shanghai. I sat next to a sweetheart of a young woman and Sherkhan sat next to a very different young woman...

Censored


We checked into a hostel, where, let's just say, I was faced with another one of China's cruel adventures. All I can say is that I found myself wandering through the ghetto of Shanghai for a couple hours after an 8 hour bus ride. It was not my happiest moment. Perhaps I can email the story more clearly if anyone's curious, but that's all I'm willing to publish.

No comments: