Friday, February 04, 2005

A Letter Regarding Sudan

I sent this letter to the senators from Maryland, Barbara Mikulski and Paul Sarbanes, and to congressperson from Maryland Chris Van Hollen last fall. Because only Congressperson Van Hollen replied, I will post the version sent to him. A link of his speech on the floor of the House of Representatives is below my letter.


Dear Congressman Van Hollen,

I am deeply concerned with the horrific actions transpiring in Sudan, specifically the mass ethnic killings taking place. I have noticed that the United States and the rest of the world has done very little in halting the killings. There comes a point where we need to be more creative than sanctioning misbehaving governments. I am certainly not recommending that we send troops to continue the killing. But we must help the people who have nothing except disease and despair. I understand that concentrating on this difficult issue is not politically savvy, but humanity should outweigh campaign strategy. My grandparents are Holocaust survivors. Their survival is a credit to themselves, but the liberating American armed forces played a part. Many of my family did not make it alive to witness America return their people's freedom from a totalitarian regime. I am asking you to do all you can to enable the grandson of some Sudanese immigrant sixty years from now to send an email to their representative thanking America for its compassion in creating a better Sudan and Africa on the whole. And have the name Chris Van Hollen go down in the history books as a great humanitarian.

Your Fellow American,
David
The link to Rep. Van Hollen's speech:

No comments: