Wednesday, June 26, 2019

My Democratic Nomination Power Rankings

Dozens of Democratic presidential hopefuls have thrown their names into the fold in hopes of capturing my vote. Currently, I am taking a mild interest in the race with the first debate scheduled for tonight. Here is how I rank them pre-debate.

1. Cory Booker (Senator, NJ) - Booker has one of the most liberal voting records in the senate, which appeals to my political sensibilities.So far he's attempted to inspire the electorate rather than simply attack the President. I believe we need someone who can bring up together, and that's why Booker has my top slot.

2. Elizabeth Warren (Senator, Mass) - Warren and I also largely agree politically. She understands policy and has tremendous experience. She's a bit too divisive and her DNA stunt made me question her political instincts a bit.

3. Bernie Sanders (Senator, Vermont) - he did a great job in '16 bringing important issues into the mainstream. His campaign succeeded in changing the narrative. I feel this latest run is more of a vanity project.

4. Tim Ryan (Rep. Ohio) - Those more of a moderate, my mom has met and worked with Ryan before.

5. Kamala Harris (Senator, Cal) - I'm not sure her prosecutorial style is what we need in a president. She received much praise for her questions in recent high profile committee eharings, but I wasn't as impressed as other people.

6. Julian Castro (Former Sec. of HUD) - He has been bold in putting out some bold policy positions ahead of the field, but he doesn't have much electoral experience.

7. Kirsten Gillibrand (Senator, NY) - Though a strong supporter of sexual assault victims, Gillibrand became far more liberal when she ran for the senate, openly admitting that she made political calculations.

8. Pete Buttigieg (Mayor, South Bend) - He has an incredible life story. His two knocks fall under the same umbrella: He's four days younger than me and his top elected position was as the mayor of the fourth largest city in Indiana. Perhaps he should run for governor first.

9. Beto O'Rourke (Former Rep., Tx) - O'Rourke should probably be running for senate again. His speaking style seems self-aggrandizing and doesn't appeal to me. He is short on substance.

10. Amy Klobacher (Senator, Min) - Apparently, she's horrible to wrok for, but any hold-over White Staff would be used to it. At least she has experience and knowledge to do the job.

11. Jay Inslee (Gov, Wash) - He has focused on climate change, which is certainly an important issue. He also has executive experience.

12. Bill de Blasio (Mayor, NY) - A liberal guy who isn't loved in his own home city.

13. Joe Biden (Former VP) - I think Biden is a sub-par candidate as he's shown in previous presidential runs. He makes a lot of gaffes, has a questionable voting records, is creepy around young women and girls, and I don't like his fake tough guy act.

14. John Delaney (Former Rep., MD) - I had a chance to vote for him in 2012 and it was the first and only time I've ever voted for a Libertarian candidate. He's a millionaire who bought his way into Congress.

15. Tulsi Gabbard (Rep., Hi) - She was pleasant on Finding Your Roots, but that whole anti-gay scandal was a turnoff.

16. Andrew Yang - A guaranteed monthly income is a good idea, but he lacks experience.

17. Marianne Williamson - She's written some books and has been an activist. If that last couple of years has taught us anything it's that experience in government is an important quality in being president.

18. Mike Gravel (Former Sen., Alaska) - He ran an outsider in '08 and barely got any momentum. I don't see the point this time.

19. The rest - I've actually heard Hickenlooper, Swalwell, Bullock, and Bennet speak but couldn't tell you anything about them, which is a bad sign for their presidential hopes. Democrats need them in Congress more than running for president.

23. - The bottom - There are actually three additional candidates! Maybe they should do something else.

No comments: