Monday, February 18, 2019

A Bookstore Journey and the Aquarium

I woke up, found a bathroom outside of oir room as not to wake the babies and I was off on my arduous journey to the bookstore. Candace inspected the sole of my left foot and deduced that something has been stuck in it for long enough the new skin swallowed it. It only jurt when I put pressure on that spot. Then it was a sharp stabbing pain.

I left at around 8:15 as the sun isn't boiling yet. The temperature suggests that it only gets to 80 degrees here, but it's an unforgiving 80 in the heat of the day. I used awkward steps to avoid land on that spot on my left foot. I felt my tendons felt sore as a result.

There doesn't seem to be much city planning outside of downtown. There's a nice gated apartment complex named after some ferocious fish next to a rundown mini strip mall complex next to a pristine McDonald's. The sidewalks are equally as diverse. Every once in a while there was a Dutch colonial house, a sight seeing destination. Those houses and the banks were surrounded by artificial grass, since not much grows on the island. Curacao mostly exports petroleum products and agriculture makes up only 1% of the economy.

The sun was angry at me as I marched and then plodded onward. People on the street in Curacao honk or call out when they know someone, otherwise they act like East Coast Americans and mostly ignore you.

Finally I made it to the bookstore. It was it's own building and looked cool. I was excited. The lights were on and people were inside. The internet had said it was closed on Sundays but open on Mondays. And then, a sign. Closed for stock filing. My heart dropped. I was overheated, tired, and thirsty. I sank to the steps. I witnessed several others yank on the door, stop, read the "closed" sign, look around, and wander off befuddled.

I knew there was another bookstore nearby. It wa  in a fancy mall by a wooden makeshift bridge that allowed to cross over an open sewer. The bookstore was clearly catered to Dutch speakers. The English section featured mostly grocery store novels. But I found a local section that had some English books. Almost all were created by some well connected tourist who documented their trip, published a not quite professional looking book and hoped to make a little money off of it. There really aren't many books English books aboit Curacao.

I stopped by a grocery store and got sodas, gummies, and fruit. I learned what an English drop gummy is and I don't think I like it. I passed by a traffic stop in Spanish and an abandoned wig on the way back. My foot had gone numb.

Then it was time to go to the sea aquarium. Abie loved going on a boat. It didn't move, but we went underneath and some fish, sharks, and sting rays swimming about. We saw dolphins and lionfish also. We've seen the sealions while walking to or from our hotel. Whoever names these animals isn't very creative. I half expect to see a lionbird and lionlizard too. The babies seemed to have a good time. Time to rest for me. This time of day, the glare from the sun's reflection off the water hurts my eyes. I like when the sun is down but there's still some light.

No comments: