Thursday, June 21, 2012

Self-Belief through Silence and Fasting

Today, I've been fasting and not speaking. This is the second Thursday in a row. If something bothers me, I will say something about it, but I want to get to a place where I am not bothered by the aggravations of life.

Today, I've focused on seeing my own value as a person. If I can better appreciate myself and understand that I can and do contribute a lot to this world, then I will be confident enough in my own skin to not allow others to shake that self-belief. I've thought about specific things that I feel self-conscious about it and tried to diagnose why I feel this way.

It mostly comes down to societal expectations. I have my own value system and my own beliefs that do not always compute with those of society's. I do not have much money and I can't claim to possess other status symbols, but that isn't what is important to me. Being a loving, compassionate, and empathetic person is important to me.

No comments: